MY FAVORITE CHOCOLATE BIRTHDAY CAKE

 My husband is responsible for the recipe behind this Chocolate Birthday Cake. More than a decade

 ago, back when he and I were just dating, I asked him what kind of cake he wanted me to bake for him

 for his birthday. He told me he loves chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I initially thought how

 simple can you get because I figured he would ask me for some extravagant and other worldly cake

 concept, but I was pleasantly surprised at the request.

So, I made him the chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, and I surprised him at his apartment while

 screaming Happy Birthday! I was always great at surprises and this one took the… umm cake? This is

 one tradition that has stuck around. I make this cake for my husband for his birthday almost every year.

Chocolate Birthday Cake for TEN Years of Hummingbird High

This chocolate birthday cake is made with three layers of the moistest, lightest chocolate cake you will

 ever taste. The best part? The recipe is almost one bowl, and only requires two bowls and a whisk to

 bring the batter together. The cake is then covered with a creamy, luscious, and fudgy chocolate cream

 cheese frosting that will be a hit at any birthday!

This cake is moist and has the perfect crumb. I cannot imagine making a chocolate cake using any other

 recipe. It is so easy to make and puts doctored cake mix recipes to shame. I’m eating a piece of the

 cake as I’m writing this, drooling all over my keyboard. It is insanely delicious. A decades search was

 worth the wait. Every…decadent…bite. Who wants cake?

CAN I MAKE THIS A DAIRY FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE?

Yes! Add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar to almond or soy milk. Let stand 5 minutes and use in place of

 the buttermilk. For the frosting, use a dairy free frosting option.

CAN I MAKE THIS A GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE?

Yes! Use “Cup for Cup” gluten-free flour blend in this recipe in the same amounts.

CAN I MAKE THIS AN EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE?

Yes! There are several options that work well when substituting for eggs in this recipe.

1/4 cup of plain yogurt per egg

1 tablespoon vinegar+ 1 teaspoon baking powder whisked together per egg

1/4 cup mashed banana per egg

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce per egg


 Ingredients

400g butter, softened

400g brown sugar

5 eggs

225g plain flour

150g self-raising flour

95g Cadbury Bournville cocoa

1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

250ml milk

2 tsp Coles Instant Coffee Powder

80ml boiling water

Chocolate icing

250g butter, softened

450g icing sugar mixture

70g Cadbury Bournville cocoa

60ml milk

5 Method Steps

Step 1

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of two 20cm round cake pans with baking paper.

Step 2

Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the combined flours, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and milk, in alternating batches, and stir until just combined. Combine the coffee and water in a small bowl. Add to the batter and stir to combine. Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared pans. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface.

Step 3

Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centres comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Step 4

To make the chocolate icing, use an electric mixer to beat the butter in a medium bowl until very pale. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well between each addition. Add the cocoa powder and milk and beat until well combined.

Step 5

Use a large serrated knife to split each cake into 2 layers. Place one layer on a serving platter. Spread

 with one-quarter of the chocolate icing. Continue layering with remaining cake and icing. Cut into wedges to serve.